So we know you guys love a matcha recipe and that you really, really love a matcha cake recipe. But did you know you can replace the eggs in your baking with chia seeds? Yep! Eggs are used in baking as a binder (to keep all the ingredients together) but we’ve made this recipe using absolutely no eggs and replaced them with hydrated chia seeds instead!
When you add water to chia seeds then let it rest for about half an hour you will notice that it forms a thick gel, if you’ve ever made a chia pudding then you will know what I’m talking about.
1 egg = 1tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water
For this recipe you will need 3 eggs or:
3 eggs = 3 tbsp chia seeds + 9tbsp water
So now for the important stuff…. let’s bake the Matcha & Ginger Spiced Apple Cake!
200g self-raising flour
3tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
45ml greek yoghurt
1 large apple diced
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper
- Hydrate the chia seeds and set aside for up to half an hour
- Peel and dice the apple
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar
- Add the hydrated chia seed
- Fold in the flour, spices and matcha and ginger
- Finally add the apple and yoghurt stirring until completely combined
- bake at 180c for approximately 50 minutes